HawkHost is a Canadian web hosting company that started out in 2004 providing shared hosting plans. Ten plus years later they now offer reseller, semi-dedicated, and virtual private servers. They also have five different server locations: Dallas, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Amsterdam, and Singapore. I’ve been using HawkHost’s shared hosting for over three years now (since April 2012) so this review is over due. I like that they are upfront about resources on their shared plans (1 CPU Core, 1GB Memory, 5MB/sec/IO, 100 Processes, 20 concurrent connections, and 25 MySQL Connections) and having 5 different server locations to choose from is a plus. HawkHost has reasonable prices and the quality of their service is worth well more than the low rates they charge.
I've opened up a handful of support tickets over the years and HawkHost has always been fast, courteous, and knowledgeable with their replies.
- April 2012: Restore cPanel backups to new hosting accounts.
- August 2012: Contacted them about server being down. It was a large DDoS attack on the shared IP so they changed it and was resolved quickly.
- May 2013: Contacted them about downtime. Discovered I was hitting CPU and process limits on my vBulletin forum. I figured out the cause and it was all good after that.
- July 2013: PHP version issue/question - resolved with 3 replies from staff in about an hour.
- October 2013: Slow loading on a WordPress site - discovered I was hitting resource limits and throttling was the cause of the slowness. I was getting hundreds of hits/minute from one IP address to xmlrpc.php so blocked the IP address and disabled xmlrpc.php since I didn't use it for remote posting to WordPress. Resolved with 2 replies from staff in about an hour.
Since that last ticket I haven't used their support in almost two years. HawkHost has a nice server status system setup (http://www.hawkhoststatus.com/) so if there's maintenance, unscheduled downtime, or a problem I've checked there first to see what's up. Overall they are on the ball and quick to resolve things.
Speed Test Result
Here's a Pingdom speed test result (1.08 seconds - not bad at all) for one of my sites hosted on a HawkHost Washington, DC server.
Great Uptime on Average
March 2015 - 99.98% Uptime (7 minutes of downtime)
April 2015 - 100% Uptime (0 minutes of downtime)
May 2015 - 100% Uptime (0 minutes of downtime)
June 2015 - 100% Uptime (0 minutes of downtime)
July 2015 - 99.72% Uptime (125 minutes of downtime)
August 2015 through July 2016 - *12 Months of 100% Uptime!* (0 minutes of downtime)
I don't have any uptime monitoring data prior to February, but I do remember experiencing at least a few notably bad months with downtime like this July in years past. Overall though, HawkHost has great uptime and when there are problems they are on it fast.
HawkHost has a great reputation because they are reliable and have consistently grown and improved over the years. In my experience there hasn't been any big problems and HawkHost's small team of 15 or so employees are very devoted and knowledgeable. I've stayed with them for over 3 years now and will keep on renewing if they remain on this track. For the quality of service you get their prices are very affordable. Like it or not, as apart of their marketing strategy they seem to always have recurring coupons available to lower their prices even more.